Most of you probably know that I spent nearly three weeks embarking on a 1,000 + mile adventure of West Coast Australia back in October. Now, talk about needing a vacation from a vacation! I started that trip in a relaxed town called Cairns while I waited for my sister and cousin to arrive. Of course, prior to their arrival, I was off exploring Cairns and its vicinity. Australian cities seem to have lagoons, which are outdoor public swimming pools landscaped tastefully. I'm convinced they incorporate them into the city's urban planning because the ocean and beaches are inundated with poisonous stingers (jellyfish) several months during the year. In Cairns, I was fortunate enough to go on an introductory scuba diving trip, which I'm quite proud of considering that I learned how to swim a couple of years ago at the tender age of about 25 or 26. Scuba Diving in windy and choppy water conditions was nerve-racking! I would never do it again in those conditions and especially since the water was too murky to see anything...or maybe I was too focused on breathing and hoping I would survive. We quickly realized that it was challenging getting around without a car and since we didn't want to drive on the 'wrong side of the road', we decided to join a tour and explore the Daintree National Forest. On the tour, we had an animated and funny French tour guide (he and his wife decided to leave France) who filled us with more info. than we could possibly handle! The Daintree National Forest, which is dubbed the oldest rainforest in the world, was an amazing place and I wished I understood its ecosystem a lot more!
Sunday, March 21, 2010
West Coast Australia: Cairns, Cape Tribulation & the Daintree-the oldest rainforest in the world
Most of you probably know that I spent nearly three weeks embarking on a 1,000 + mile adventure of West Coast Australia back in October. Now, talk about needing a vacation from a vacation! I started that trip in a relaxed town called Cairns while I waited for my sister and cousin to arrive. Of course, prior to their arrival, I was off exploring Cairns and its vicinity. Australian cities seem to have lagoons, which are outdoor public swimming pools landscaped tastefully. I'm convinced they incorporate them into the city's urban planning because the ocean and beaches are inundated with poisonous stingers (jellyfish) several months during the year. In Cairns, I was fortunate enough to go on an introductory scuba diving trip, which I'm quite proud of considering that I learned how to swim a couple of years ago at the tender age of about 25 or 26. Scuba Diving in windy and choppy water conditions was nerve-racking! I would never do it again in those conditions and especially since the water was too murky to see anything...or maybe I was too focused on breathing and hoping I would survive. We quickly realized that it was challenging getting around without a car and since we didn't want to drive on the 'wrong side of the road', we decided to join a tour and explore the Daintree National Forest. On the tour, we had an animated and funny French tour guide (he and his wife decided to leave France) who filled us with more info. than we could possibly handle! The Daintree National Forest, which is dubbed the oldest rainforest in the world, was an amazing place and I wished I understood its ecosystem a lot more!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment