Thursday, March 25, 2010

Portland's Voodoo, Gastronomy and Oddness in 2 1/2 Days




Portland towards the end of February: Overcast with a little drizzle but nevertheless laid-back with a terrific light rail system running throughout the downtown area and beyond. After a lovely meal at Mother's Restaurant, I saw an imposing wall painted with "Keep Portland Weird" in bright orange paint...odd but neat! Of course, I had to capture it on my camera. So, one of my work directors suggested going to the famed Voodoo Donut, where they specialize in an assortment of donuts to include one shaped like a voodoo doll. My sister, cousin (another cousin) and I heeded the advice and embarked on a journey to the less famed part of town to wait in line outside Voodoo Donut. White waiting in cue, I briefly chatted with the folks in front of us and quickly learned that they were also tourists. Well, at first-glance it looked like most people in line were tourists! I opted to order two of the classic type of donuts and they were good but well, I didn't personally find them spectacular. That was my grand adventure in Portland and of course, I called a very good friend living in Haiti to share the Voodoo story, while waiting for my flight back home. Upon returning to Los Angeles, I wondered if I would ever live to see Los Angeles' subway-to-the-sea completed.

No comments: