Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Grand Finale: Sydney


After multiple overnight bus rides, we decided to save time and decided to fly into Sydney-our last stop. In Sydney, we met a long-lost uncle (don't ask how the family tree works out) and his niece. We had a terrific time exploring Sydney and even managed to see a show inside the opera house and catch the famed Derby Day--horse race where people get dressed and then drink at a pub/bar. By the way, I thought Sydney's Bondi Beach was overrated so I wouldn't personally recommend it. I thoroughly enjoyed my time walking around Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens, discovering Chinatown and many more but it was really expensive!

In a nutshell, exploring Australia was enjoyable but it's not my favorite travel destination. Everything such as food, beverages, snacks, etc. usually cost twice as much as here in the US and it didn't help that the US dollar was ailing our entire trip. We all had to budget carefully because the cost of the tours (yes, it was difficult to see sights if not on group tours) and all other incidentals. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that koalas and kangaroos are as just as adorable in person and I finally saw the elusive sea turtle while snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef located around in the Whitsunday Islands!

No comments: